Dermot Bannon serves up a delicious venison main.
- 4 (200g each) loins of venison
- 6 parsnips (peeled and chopped)
- 2 rooster potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 200 ml cream
- 1 large fresh beetroot
- for the redcurrant jus:
- 50 g redcurrant jelly
- 200 ml beef stock
- 50 g fresh redcurrants
- salt and pepper
- For the Parsnip Purée:
- Oil the parsnips and potatoes until soft. Strain and purée them in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- For the Crisp Beetroot:
- Slice the beetroot as thinly as possible. Dust with flour and place in a deep fat fryer until crispy. Strain the crisps on kitchen paper and season with salt.
- For the Redcurrant Jus:
- In a saucepan, place the redcurrant jelly, stock and redcurrants over a medium to high heat and reduce by a third. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the Venison:
- Season the venison with salt and pepper and pan fry in a little olive oil over a high heat for about four minutes on each side. Rest the meat for 2-3 minutes in a warm place.
- To Serve:
- Spoon some parsnip puree onto a serving dish and place the venison slices on top. Drizzle generously with the redcurrant jus. Garnish with a few beetroot crisps on the side and serve immediately.
More by Dermot Bannon:
- Lemon Curd Tartlet with Autumn Raspberries and Crème Chantilly
- Pan Seared Scallops on Black Pudding, Mint Pea Puree, Chilli Oil Dressing
- Duck Confit With Orange And Walnut Salad