Simon Delaney serves up Lamb Shanks for The Restaurant.
- for the lamb:
- 4 lamb shanks
- olive oil
- 2 large onions (peeled and chopped)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- sprig of thyme
- sprig of rosemary
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 2 pint beef or chicken stock
- for the wild mushroom and potato cake:
- 1 small onion (peeled and diced)
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled and crushed)
- olive oil
- 100 g wild mushrooms (cleaned and chopped)
- sprig of thyme
- 4 large rooster potaoes (peeled and grated)
- 100 g butter
- for the carrots:
- 8 medium carrots (peeled with stalk left on)
- 1 tblsp runny honey
- juice of half an orange
- Preheat the oven to 120ºC.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper. Drizzle a little olive oil in a hot pan and brown the shanks on all sides. Place the onions, carrots and garlic in an ovenproof casserole dish and place the lamb shanks on top with the herbs. Pour over the wine and the stock, cover with tin foil and cook in the preheated oven for 3 hours.
- When tender, remove the dish from the oven. Place the shanks in a dish and set aside in a warm place. Strain the cooking juices and remove the vegetables and herbs. Cook the juices in a pot over a medium heat and reduce it by at least two thirds until it reaches a thick consistency, keep warm.
- For the Wild Mushroom and Potato Cake:
- Preheat oven to 170ºC.
- In a frying pan, fry the onion and garlic in a little olive oil over a medium heat until soft and lightly golden. Add the mushrooms and chopped thyme to the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes until all the moisture and liquid has evaporated.
- Take the pan off the heat and let the mushroom mix cool. Once cool, mix in the grated potato, add the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a greased metal ring pack about handful of the potato and mushroom mix into the ring. Place the ring on a large heavy bottomed frying pan over a medium heat and fry until golden on one side, which should take about three minutes. Then fry the other side in the same way. Repeat to make 4 of these cakes. Transfer the mushroom and potato cakes onto a roasting tray and put in the oven for 10 minutes.
- For the Glazed Carrots:
- In a pot, cover the carrots with water and bring to boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer until they are soft (about 10-15 minutes). Strain the water and put the carrots back in the pot over a medium heat. Stir in the honey and orange juice and cook gently until it glazes the carrots. Set aside and keep warm.
- To Serve:
- Warm the lamb shanks in the reduced sauce over a medium heat. Place the mushroom and potato cake at the side of a serving dish, place two glazed carrots beside it and place the shanks next to it. Drizzle generously with the sauce and serve immediately.
More by Simon Delaney:
- Banana and Caramel Cheesecake with a Warm Chocolate Sauce
- Smoked Irish Salmon Blini with a Lemon and Caper Crème Fraiche