A delicious light snack.
- 2 tblsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp coriander seed (crushed)
- 1 tsp cumin, crushed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds (optional)
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 250 g onions (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 500 g minced lamb or turkey (leftovers if cooking for your news years’ party)
- 100 ml natural yoghurt
- baby gem lettuce and chicory leaves (for variety, but just the one type is fine. cos or ice-berg lettuce also work fine)
- 1 pomegranate (seeds)
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat the oil over a medium flame.
- Add all the spices and stir for half a moment, until the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Add the onions, garlic and sweat them down until they’re good and soft.
- Add the mince, turn up the heat and stir until the meat is lightly brown all over.
- Then, turn down the heat, pour in the yoghurt, stir and continue to cook on a medium heat until the nearly all the liquid has been absorbed (or evaporated).
- Turn the heat off, move the pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, separate the leaves, to form individual ‘cups’.
- Now to get the seeds from the pomegranate.
- Halve the pomegranate with a sharp knife, then take a half in one hand and a wooden spoon in your other hand.
- Gently tap the rounded, outer edge of the fruit with your spoon and catch the seeds in a strategically placed bowl! You’re trying to avoid getting the white pithy parts into your (collection) bowl.
- And so, to serve, take a leaf, and spoon a good dessert spoon of the spiced mince into the thick part of the leaf.
- Sprinkle with a few seeds and place on your favourite serving dish.
- Repeat until you have enough. Serve and enjoy!
More by Arun Kapil:
- Cauliflower 'Chips': Arun Kapil Today show recipe
- Sofa Chicken: Arun Kapil's Today recipe
- One week 'til Pancake Tuesday: Traditional Pancake