A delicious recipe for a Christmas ham from Naomi Byrne.
- 3 kg boned and rolled ham
- 2 tblsp honey
- 2 tblsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 tblsp brown sugar
- 20 cloves
- If the ham is salty, soak it in water overnight and then discard the water.
- The ham should be covered in cold water and brought slowly to the boil, then let it simmer for 40 minutes per kilo (2 hours for a 3kg ham). Add an extra 15 minute to the end of the cooking time.
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7). Combine the honey and mustard in a mixing bowl. Remove the cooked ham from the pot and place on to a baking tray.
- Next remove the outer layer of fat off the meat, but leave the fine layer that remains underneath. Sear this with a knife in criss crosses or diagonals, and pierce the entire ham with the cloves.
- Pour the honey and mustard over, and then finish by sprinkling over the brown sugar. Place in the hot oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the glaze has caramelized. This can be served hot or cold.
More by Naomi Byrne:
- Roast Beef, Horseradish Cream and Rocket Sandwich
- Spiced Apple and Tomato Chutney
- Marinated Chicken Sandwich with Aioili and Baby Leaves