Delicious to snack on.
- a little sunflower oil
- 2 eggs, large
- 60 ml cava or your favourite ginger beer
- 1 level tsp salt
- 1tsp ground cassia or cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ginger powder
- 250 g caster sugar
- 1 kg almonds (de-shelled)
- Firstly, turn your oven on to high; 230°C or gas mark 7 is great.
- Lightly coat a large, sturdy baking tray with the oil.
- Crack the eggs open and carefully separate the whites.
- NB You can store the yolks in your fridge to use for ice-cream or simply whip with a couple of teaspoons of sugar, pour strong coffee or espresso over and stir vigorously to make an excellent North Italian style coffee!!
- Meanwhile, whisk the whites so they’re ‘frothy’, not into ‘peaks’, then add the Cava or ginger beer and gently combine with the whipped whites, using a folding motion.
- Then add the cinnamon, ginger, sugar and nuts.
- Gently stir to combine.
- Spread the almonds in an even layer over your oiled baking tray and pop into the oven.
- It could take up to an hour, to get them right and you’ll have to stir then every so often with a fork to prevent them from sticking to each other too much.
- NB They’re ready when the nuts appear dry and all the mixture has been ‘absorbed’.
- Take them out of the oven and immediately separate them out with your (trusty) fork and allow them to thoroughly cool on the tray below serving to your wonderful guests. Enjoy!!
More by Arun Kapil:
- Cauliflower 'Chips': Arun Kapil Today show recipe
- Sofa Chicken: Arun Kapil's Today recipe
- One week 'til Pancake Tuesday: Traditional Pancake