The perfect filling for Indian crispy pancakes.
- 3 tsp, picked over for stones urid dahl (skinned black lentils)
- 3 tblsp sunflower oil
- 2 thinly sliced onions, medium
- 0.25 tsp (optional) asafoetida
- 3 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 10-15 curry leaves (dried)
- 2 red chillies (dried)
- 3 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 30 g, finely grated ginger, fresh root
- 600 g potatoes (peeled, diced and boiled, but still holding -roosters or maris piper )
- 2 roughly diced tomatoes
- small handful, roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 0.5 juice of lime, fresh
- Put the lentils into small bowl, cover with hot water and allow to soak for 5 minutes.
- Take a frying pan, put onto a medium heat, add the oil, heat, then add the onions and gently fry.
- When the onions are light brown and slightly soft add the spices and stir around for a minute or so.
- Then, add the salt, ginger, potatoes, tomatoes and stir to thoroughly mix.
- Take the pan off the heat, sprinkle with the coriander and stir….