A gluten-free bread from Neven Maguire.
- olive oil, for oiling
- 600 g gluten-free flour
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300 g soya bran
- 150 g light muscovado sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100 ml sun-dried
- tomato pesto
- 1 l buttermilk
- 1 tblsp sesame seeds
- butter, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly oil a 900g (2lb) loaf tin.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl with the salt and bicarbonate of soda, then stir in the soya bran and sugar.
- Place the eggs, Sun-dried Tomato Pesto and buttermilk in a jug and mix well to combine.
- Make a well in centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture, mixing to combine. Spoon the mixture into the oiled loaf tin and smooth the surface, using the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
- Bake the bread for 1 hour until golden brown and crusty on top.
- Tip briefly from the tin and tap the base of the loaf to check it is cooked – it should sound hollow. Return to the tin and leave for 5 minutes on a heatproof surface, then turn the bread out on to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Once the bread has cooled down completely, place on a bread board and cut into slices at the table. Serve with butter.