- 175 g good quality dark chocolate (we use callebaut chocolate in the kitchen)
- 475 ml cream
- 474 ml milk
- 9 free range egg yolks
- 175 g castor sugar
- ¾ teaspoon of good quality vanilla essence (or infuse a fresh vanilla pod in the milk)
- 18 slices of white bread with the crusts cut off (can be used for the stuffing or bread sauce above)
- 100 g softened butter
- 150 g toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 20 x 30cm oven proof serving dish
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and then place in a saucepan with the cream and milk. Stir over a low heat until the chocolate has completely melted. Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly. Whisk the egg yolks and the sugar and then gradually add the chocolate cream mixture, whisking at all times to make sure it doesn’t curdle.
- Butter all the bread and then proceed to layer the bread in the serving dish, each time pouring over the chocolate custard followed by a sprinkle of hazelnuts. Keep doing this until the dish is full. Place the dish in the fridge and let it stand for two/three hours or overnight, if you can.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C. Bake in the preheated oven for one hour, or until the pudding is crispy around the edges but still slightly wobbly in the centre. Allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with lightly whipped cream and seasonal berries. (optional).