- 75 g brussels sprouts per person
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 300 ml milk, and a little extra
- 75 g irish cheese (grated)
- 50 g back bacon (finely chopped)
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts. Remove the outer leaves and cut a little off the bottom of each sprout, then cut a little cross into the bottom of each sprout. This helps them cook more evenly. Put sprouts into a pot of boiling salted water.
- Cook for 5 minutes, strain off the water and refresh the sprouts in iced water. Place in roasting dish, set to one side.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, then take off the heat and add the flour, mix together and return to the heat to cook until the roux looks glossy.
- Remove from the heat, add milk and stir continuously, no lumps! Return to heat and the sauce will thicken. Continue to cook until the flour has cooked out. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Check for seasoning and add some salt or pepper as required.
- Pour the cheese over the Brussels sprouts; sprinkle the finely chopped back bacon over the cheese. Put into an oven preheated 180°C (350°F, Gas 4) for 15 minutes, until the bacon is cooked and the cheese sauce is golden brown.