- 8 eggs
- 225 g baby spinach leaves
- small knob of butter
- tiny pinch nutmeg
- 4 tblsp pouring cream
- 75 g grated parmesan cheese
- cracked black pepper
- Select four small ramekins or oven proof dishes.
- Wash the spinach leaves and dry them thoroughly with some clean linen.
- Heat a frying pan with a small knob of butter and add the spinach to the pan and cook over a high heat for approximately one minute until the spinach has all wilted down.
- Once this has happened sprinkle the spinach with a tiny pinch of nutmeg-not too much now or it makes the dish very highly-flavoured which is undesirable.
- Transfer the spinach to a fine sieve and allow it to drain of all the excess liquid. Push the spinach with the back of a spoon if that helps.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5).
- Divide the spinach over the base of the four ramekins and then crack two eggs on top of each portion of spinach.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of cream on top of each batch of the eggs and then divide the grated parmesan between the four dishes.
- Put the ramekins on a flat baking sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the eggs have just set.
- Serve immediately with slices of well buttered toast.