Beef and Guinness Casserole with Creamy Mash
A taste to toast!
- 2 lb lean stewing beef
- 2 tblsp flour
- 2 tblsp rapeseed oil
- 400 g chopped seasonal vegetables
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 500 ml can stout
- 2 fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs
- 4 local smoked rashers (cooked and chopped)
- Pat beef dry in kitchen paper and leave to sit out of the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Brown in the saucepan with a little rapeseed oil over a high heat.
- Add the vegetables to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix well, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pot and stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the Guinness and the stock and bring to a simmer, then pour into a casserole dish and cover.
- Allow to simmer away gently in the oven at 170°C until the beef is cooked, about 1½ - 2 hours.
- Season by adding the smoked rashers and add a drop of Guinness to your own taste.
- Serve with really creamy mash that I have blended with our Wexford Creamery cream, Cuinnog Irish Butter and fresh herbs.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say