Irresistible chocolate cake with a fudge and vanilla filling.
- 12 oz softened butter
- 12 oz caster sugar
- 1 lb self raising flour
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspsoon vanilla extract
- 4 tblsp cocoa powder
- fudge filling:
- 2 tin condensed milk
- 7 oz milk chocolate
- 7 oz dark chocolate
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla extract and the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Sieve flour and add to the mixture and stir.
- Take out one third of the cake mixture and put in a bowl.
- Sieve and fold in the cocoa powder to remaining mixture.
- Grease and line with baking parchment 3 9x1 1/2” cake tins.
- Put the cake mixture into 2 different piping bags or if you don’t have piping bags spoon mixture into the tins.
- With two of the cake tins, pipe/spoon a circle of chocolate cake mixture around the outer section of the cake tins and then pipe/spoon vanilla cake mixture next, fill the centre of the tin with the chocolate mixture.
- With 3rd cake tin, fill with vanilla cake mixture around the outer section, then chocolate and then fill the centre with the remaining vanilla cake mixture.
- Bake at 185oC for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tins.
- Make the fudge filling as follows.
- Break chocolate into small pieces and place in a heatproof bowl.
- Pour condensed milk over the chocolate and stir until melted over a pan of simmering water.
- Allow to cool completely.
- TO ASSEMBLE CAKE:
- Place chocolate layer on a large cake plate and spread some fudge filling on top.
- Place the vanilla layer over this and spread fudge filling over this.
- Put the remaining chocolate layer over these and spread the remaining fudge filling on the sides and top of the cake.
If the fudge filling isn’t easy to spread, just place it in the microwave for 10 seconds at highest setting.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones
- Valentine's Day Choc Fudge Lollies: Louise Lennox