Watch willpower crumble before your eyes.
- 420 g flour
- 170 g icing sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250 g butter
- 50 g ground almonds
- 8 g salt
- 7-8 large apples
- for the sweet pastry:
- 75 g butter
- 75 g sifted icing sugar
- 2 free-range eggs (beaten)
- 1 tblsp double cream
- 300 g plain flour
- For the Sweet Pastry Cases:
- Gently cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Slowly add eggs, beating well after each addition otherwise the mixture can split.
- Stir in the cream and flour and mix to a dryish dough mixture. Cover in clingfilm and leave overnight.
- Roll out between sheets of clingfilm to desired shape and carefully line tin.
- Bake blind for 6-10 minutes.
- For the Apple Crumble:
- Cream the butter and the icing sugar together.
- Add the almonds, eggs, vanilla (split with middle scraped out) and salt.
- Finally add flour to make lovely crumb mixture. You can also add some crushed flaked almonds for extra crunch at this stage.
- Clover in cling film and refrigerate until needed.
- Peel and slice apples, toss onto hot pan with a little butter, sprinkle a little sugar add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, gently moving so apples don't stick.
- Once the apples are slightly springy to touch, caramelised and a light gold colour, remove and cool.
- Add apple mixture in pastry cases and top with crumble mixture, bake until golden brown (about 10 minutes) and serve with ice cream.
More by Patricia George:
- Beef Medallion with Blue Cheese Leeks, Rosemary Mash and Port Sauce
- Terrine of Foie Gras
- Sea Food Gratin