Ultimate comfort food.
- 400 g cooked macaroni elbows (al dente)
- 50 g plain flour
- 50 g butter
- 700 ml milk
- 1 small onion
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 175 g grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C (430°F/Gas 7).
- Place the milk in a small pot and add the whole onion and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, switch off the heat and infuse the flavours.
- Melt the butter in a pot and stir in the flour and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the onion and bay leaf from the milk.
- Stir in the mustard powder.
- Gradually pour the warm infused milk into the roux and whisk continuously over a medium heat to avoid lumps.
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in half the cheese and the cooked macaroni elbows.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in an oven proof dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and place in the pre heated oven for 20 minutes or until the top has turned golden.
- Serve immediately.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Halloumi and baby potato skewers