A great snack or starter.
- 300 g puff pastry
- 1 free range egg (beaten)
- 40 g butter
- 175 g button mushrooms (sliced)
- 25 g plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Defrost the pastry as per packet.
- Roll out the pastry to ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out six circles using a 3 in(9cm) pastry cutter. Place on and oiled baking tray.
- Cut out a smaller circle, ½ inch smaller than the outer one, inside the pastry.
- Do not cut completely through with the second circle.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Brush the outer pastry with beaten egg and bake in a pre heated oven for 20 minutes. Place on a cooling tray.
- Remove the lid with a knife and scoop out any soft unwanted pastry from the centres of the pastries.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for 2 minutes.
- Shake in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Blend in the milk and bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the cases, replace the lids and reheat for 10/15 minutes.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich