Let's do the timewarp again!
- 4 large balls of ice cream (classically pistachio, but using 2 or 3 different flavours is so much better)
- 3 each egg whites
- 150 g caster sugar
- Begin by removing the ice cream from the freezer for just a few minutes to soften a little before trying to scoop or shape.
- Place the slices of Swiss Roll or sponge on some parchment paper and onto a tray before scooping the first ball of strawberry ice cream and placing on top of the sponge.
- Using a warm knife spread the vanilla ice cream around the strawberry. Place this back into the freezer.
- In an electric mixer whisk the egg whites and 2 teaspoons of the sugar and whisk until stiff. Add the remaining sugar and whisk for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and spoon or pipe the meringue on, ensuring you completely the cover both the sponge and the ice cream. Return to the freezer until you are ready to serve.
- Pre-heat the oven to a very high temperature of 220°C. The meringue is a very good insulator, but this dessert still is difficult to bake without melting the ice cream. The easiest way around this is to use a blowtorch to colour and cook the meringue
- Bake in the oven for just 2-3 minutes or until the meringue just turns golden.
Richie's tip: I think it is so much better to combine a couple of flavours of ice cream for this dessert and it really is up to you which are your favorites! I like to use a really good vanilla ice cream and strawberry together.
More by Richie Wilson:
- Barbequed Leg Of Lamb with Rosemary Marinade and Granny's Potatoes with Summer Salad
- Burger and Chips
- Hot Chocolate Fondant - Lemon And White Chocolate Mini Eggs In Orange Caramel Sauce