A truly reviving, thirst quenching drink.
- 300 g cold water
- 700 g caster sugar
- 4 limes (juice and zest)
- 20 g basil (or about 1 sprig, crushed and chopped)
- tiny, tiny pinch of kali namak
- To make the cordial, put the water and sugar into a deep bottomed pan and gently heat over a medium flame to dissolve the sugar.
- Take off the heat allow to cool slightly until tepid.
- Add the lime juice, zest and basil.
- Allow to cool entirely, then, strain through a sieve.
- Add the slightest amount of Kali Namak, I’d say maybe about a fifth of a teaspoon
- Note: Too much and it’ll smell of rotten eggs, too little and it’s not worth it. Get it just right and it’s amazing what a tingly flavour sensation it adds.
- Mix the cordial with soda water. 1 part cordial to 4 or 5 parts water, depending on your personal preference.
- Serve chilled. Garnish with a sprig of fresh basil and enjoy!!