Garth McColgan's spicey dish for Aldi is just brimming with flavour.
- for the chicken:
- 4 chicken fillets
- 3 tblsp plain flour
- 1 tblsp turmeric
- 1 tblsp ground coriander
- 1 tblsp ground ginger
- 1 tblsp garam masala
- 2 tblsp chilli seasoning
- 1 tblsp tikka masala
- 1 tblsp seasalt
- for the rice:
- 250 g basmati rice
- 2 tblsp turmeric
- 2 tblsp tandoori spice
- for the salad:
- 1 cucumber (peeled and seeded)
- 4 tomatoes (seeded)
- zest of half a lemon
- juice of a whole lemon
- 1 tblsp seasalt
- 60 ml sunflower oil
- 2 tblsp coriander leaf
- 1 pack mango
- flavoured poppadoms
- 1 jar raita
- 1 jar lime pickle
- naan bread
- First make the coating. Mix flour with the six spices and salt in a bowl. Tip the spice mix onto a plate and coat the chicken. Put onto a roasting tray.
- Cook the rice according to the pack instructions, but add 2tbsp each of Turmeric & Tandoori spice to the water.
- Pop the chicken into a hot oven (220°C) for 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile get your salad together.
- With a fork, stir lemon juice, zest, sugar and salt together in a small bowl till the sugar and salt are dissolved. Add oil while stirring. Taste for seasoning and add more salt or sugar if required.
- Peel the cucumber and split it lengthways. Scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon and cut into 1cm thick half-moons.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters, removing the seeds with a sharp knife. Slice into 1cm thick slices lengthways. Roughly chop the coriander leaf. Mix salads and drizzle with the tangy lemon dressing.
- Remove chicken from the oven and allow to rest for three minutes. Carve into five or six slices and serve with rice and a wedge of lemon.
- Serve the poppadoms and Nann bread with the raita and lime pickle, and the salad in separate bowls.
- Get your family around the table and dig in.
Garth's tip: Adding spices to the water when you’re cooking the rice gives it both extra flavour and colour.
More by Garth McColgan:
- Latino Chilli Wraps with Guacamole
- Easter Cupcake Delights
- Irish Angus Burgers with Red Onion Marmalade