Falafels made easy!
- 100 g chickpeas
- 30 g red onion
- 45 g fresh mint
- 20 g fresh coriander
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 dsp lemon juice
- sunflower oil for deep frying
- for the tahini and lemon dip:
- 2 tblsp tahini
- lemon juice
- sea salt
- Wash the chickpeas and place in a large bowl and cover with plenty of cold water, (bring the water to 3 inches above the chickpeas and soak overnight or for 8 hours.
- Place the onion, garlic, mint, coriander, sea salt and lemon juice into the bowl of a food processor. Then pulse until the vegetables are chopped fine.
- Drain the chickpeas and with the motor running feed the chickpeas into the processor until all the chickpeas are blended. Check the seasoning adding more salt or lemon juice if needed.
- Heat the oil for deep frying. With dampened hand, shape the mix into 20 balls. Drop into the hot oil and fry until brown and crisp.
- To make the dip, place the tahini into a food processor or use a hand blender.
- Add a pinch of salt, a squeeze of lemon juice and some water. Blend.
- Then add lemon juice and salt until the required flavour has been reached.
- Add enough water and blend until there is a smooth and creamy dip.
- Serve the falafel in pitta bread with shredded lettuce, cucumber and tomato and drizzle over the tahini/lemon dip.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Halloumi and baby potato skewers