Why settle for vanilla when Louise Lennox offers this gem of a dessert?
- 6 egg yolks
- 500 ml cream, glenilen
- 50 ml whiskey, cooley distilleries
- 4 oz brown breadcrumbs, cup cake cottage, airfields
- 1 oz butter, glenilen
- In saucepan heat the cream. Whisk the egg yolks and 3oz sugar together and our hot cream mixture onto the egg mixture and whisk.
- Pour mixture into a clean saucepan. Stir with a wooden spoon on a low heat until the mixture coats the back of the spoon, remove from heat and strain into a chilled bowl. Then add the Madeira and stir.
- In a bowl mix brown bread crumbs, sugar and melted butter place on a baking tray and cook at 180°C for 10 to 15 mins until crumbs begin to harden. Allow to cool completely.
- When the custard is completely cold, churn in an ice-cream machine or pour into a large bowl and place into the freezer. Allow freezing for 30 mins then removing the bowl from the freeze and whisk the ice-cream. Repeat this twice more then fold in the bread crumbs.
- Transfer to a plastic container with a tight fitting lid.