The perfect quick vegetarian dish.
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 kg spinach leaves (washed, stems removed and finely shredded)
- 1 level teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 level teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 250 g feta cheese
- 12 sheets filo pastry (leave in the warmth of the kitchen 2-3 hours before using)
- natural sea salt
- 50 g toasted walnuts (roughly chopped)
- Oven: 190°C (375°F/Gas 5)
- Sauté the onion in some olive oil until soft. Add the shredded spinach, a pinch of salt and sweat down until the spinach is cooked. Remove from the heat. Place in a colander to drain. Allow to cool.
- When drained well, place the spinach in a bowl. Add the walnuts, lemon zest and rosemary. Roughly crumble in the feta. Mix well, then season with salt and divide into 12 portions.
- Unwrap the filo sheets. Take 1 sheet, Spread it out flat and brush with olive oil. Lay another sheet on top and brush with oilve oil.
- Do the same again with a third sheet. Cut the oiled pastry with a knife into 3 strips lengthwise. Place 1 portion of the filling at the bottom left hand corner of one of the strips.
- Fold over into a triangle and continue to fold until all the pastry strip has been used, (its like folding a flag). Place on an oiled baking sheet.
- Roll up the other 2 strips in the same way. Repeat this process with the rest of the filo and filling.
- Brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven for 40 minutes or until the turnovers are golden.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich