A tasty salad with cured meat.
- 2 slices fillet beef (approx 200g each)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cardamom pods
- 100 ml oil
- cracked black pepper
- 1 dsp honey
- 6-8 leaves red chard
- 200 g mixed lettuce
- 1 green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tblsp biltong
- 3 dsp olive oil
- 1 dsp honey
- juice ½ lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- Begin by making the dressing.
- Finely dice the garlic and add this to a mixing bowl.
- Add some seasoning, honey and lemon juice to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Slowly pour in the oil and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Marinade the beef in all of the ingredients mixed together.
- Leave it to rest for about an hour
- Heat the barbecue and cook the beef on the hot bars.
- Rare-2 minutes on either side
- Medium- 4 minutes on either side
- Well Done- 5 minutes on either side
- Mix the chard, lettuce, thinly sliced green pepper, onion, garlic together.
- Add in cherry tomatoes and glaze with the dressing.
- Thinly slice the beef and place it on top of the salad.
- Sprinkle the biltong on top.
Biltong is a kind of cured meat that originated in South Africa. Many different types of meat can be used to make it, ranging from beef through game meats to fillets of ostrich from commercial farms. It is typically made from raw fillets of meat cut into strips following the grain of the muscle, or flat pieces sliced across the grain. It is similar to beef jerky in that they are both spiced, dried meats, but differ in their typical ingredients, taste and production process.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Fragrant Chicken Curry with Basmati Rice
- Fish and Chips with Minted Peas: Kevin Dundon
- Fiery Fajitas with Salsa: Kevin Dundon