Easy to make little cakes which make the perfect accompaniment to tea.
- 500 ml whole milk
- 5 large eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 200 g plain flour (sifted)
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 120 g salted butter
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Put the milk, eggs and sugar in a saucepan and heat while whisking vigorously for a few seconds until the custard mixture mousses up.
- Take it off the heat and cool, whisking constantly. When completely cold, add the flour and baking powder and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Melt the butter and add little by little. Leave to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Use a silicone baking mat, or grease the ridges of a Madeleine tin with extra butter using a pastry brush.
- Fill the moulds not quite to the top and then cook for about 10 minutes, until they are puffed up and golden.
- Remove from the oven, take them out of the mould immediately and leave to cool. They won’t last long!
More by Trish Deseine:
- Black Pudding & Apple Tart: Trish Deseine, Today
- Recipe: Trish Deseine, Durrus Tartiflette, Today
- Moroccan Lamb