If ever you are lucky enough to have an autumn glut of figs and you want them to go that little bit further, then this chutney recipe is the perfect solution.
- four fresh figs
- 4-6 dried figs
- 4 tblsp fig jam
- spice mix - cumin, coriander, ginger and nutmeg
- grated orange or lemon zest and a little orange juice
- This recipe is a bit of a cheat, really, because we are using three different types of fig: dried figs, some that have been made into jam and the fresh ones.
- Cut these fresh figs into small pieces. Now you can peel them if you like, but I never do.
- And because the chutney will go with all sorts of terrines, patés and cold meats, you can add your own spice mix.
- You can add cumin, coriander, ginger and nutmeg. I put some orange or lemon in there as well.
- Grate some orange or lemon zest and some orange juice.
- And then add a little of the fig jam, stir it for a few seconds and leave to mature.
More by Trish Deseine:
- Recipe: Trish Deseine, Durrus Tartiflette, Today
- Moroccan Lamb
- Apple Compote with Crème Anglaise and Burned Butter Sauce