A delicious pasta dish from Neven Maguire.
- 675 g butternut squash
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 25 g butter
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 100 g rindless pancetta (cut into lardons)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 red onion (finely diced)
- 175 g chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 250 g tub mascarpone cheese
- 50 g freshly grated parmesan
- 275 g penne pasta
- 50 g toasted pine nuts
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lightly dressed rocket salad and crusty bread, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Peel the butternut squash, then cut in half and scoop out the seeds; discard. Place half of the olive oil and the butter in a roasting tin. Place in the oven for a few minutes to heat up. Cut the butternut squash into bite-sized chunks and then toss them into the heated oil and butter mixture. Add the rosemary and roast for 20 minutes or until just cooked through. Keep warm.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and add the pancetta. Cook for 5 minutes until crisp and lightly golden, then add garlic, onion and mushrooms and cook for another 5minutes until the mushrooms are tender, stirring regularly. Stir in the stock, mascarpone cheese and Parmesan and simmer very gently for 5 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne in a large pan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes until al dente or according to packet instructions. Drain and then quickly refresh under cold running water. Return to the pan and stir in the mascarpone sauce, then carefully fold in the roasted butternut squash and pine nuts. Divide among warmed wide rimmed bowls and scatter over the basil. Serve at once with a separate bowl of salad and some crusty bread.
More by Neven Maguire:
- The Today Show: Neven Maguire's Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Neven Maguire style
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show