Something to look forward to making after a hard day.
- for the pithiviers:
- 1 packet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 ball of buffalo mozzarella
- 2 large vine ripened tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ml aged balsamic
- 100 g wild rocket
- for the pithivier filling:
- 200 g mixed wild mushroom
- 2 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100 g chicken stock
- 50 g cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- For the Pithiviers:
- Fry the mushrooms with thyme, shallot and garlic in olive oil.
- When brown add butter and continue to cook for 30 seconds.
- Strain and remove garlic and thyme.
- Then put the mushrooms back into the pan and add the stock, reduce the stock until evaporated and add the cream.
- Reduce again so the cream coats the mushrooms nicely.
- Dissolve the corn four in a little water and pour into mushroom mix and stir in for 30 seconds then remove from the heat.
- When cools slightly add the egg yolk, mix all together and roll in your hands into small balls, just a little smaller than a golf ball leave to cool in the fridge.
- Whilst cooling down cut discs out of the pastry 2 per portion.
- Put one disc onto your work surface and place a mushroom ball in the centre.
- Brush around the outside with some egg wash and place the second disc over the top pressing down firmly to stick the discs together.
- Brush the side facing up with more egg wash and place the Pithiviers in a pre-heated oven set to 160°C for 25 minutes.
- As they are baking slice and arrange the Mozzarella and the tomatoes on your serving plate alternating the mozzarella and tomato each time.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil over and around.
- When the Pithiviers are baked place one in the centre of each plate. Enjoy.
More by Oliver Dunne:
- Ardsallagh Goat's Cheese and Beetroot Compote
- Pan Fried Plaice with Peas, Horseradish and Smoked Bacon
- Apple Tart Fine with Chantilly Cream and Butterscotch