A popular Indian side dish
- 2 baby gem lettuce (remove the leaves, wash and pat dry)
- 1 tin cooked chickpeas (drained and washed)
- 2 shallots (finely chopped)
- 2 tblsp patak’s balti paste
- 0.5 tomato or 3 cherry tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 tblsp fresh coriander (chopped)
- 2 tblsp plain thick yoghurt
- juice of ½ lime
- 0.5 green chilli (finely chopped, optional)
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add the shallots and green chilli (if using).
- After 1 minute add the Patak’s Balti Paste.
- Sprinkle in some water to prevent the spices from burning.
- Cook for 2 minutes before adding the chickpeas and stir well.
- Add a few tablespoons of water if the mixture looks too dry.
- Cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Squeeze in the lime juice, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Fill the lettuce leaves with a heaped tablespoon of spiced chickpeas.
- Top with a little yoghurt, tomatoes and finally sprinkle with coriander.
- Simply delicious!
More by Anjali Pathak:
- Chicken with Cashews (Balti Murgh)
- Pan-Fried Potato Masala (Masala Pyaz Aloo)
- Crispy Lamb Cutlets with Aromatic Green Bean Salad