A delicious baked citrus tart.
- for the sweet pastry:
- 200 g flour
- 100 g icing sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- flour (for rolling)
- 1 egg white
- for the filling:
- 6 whole eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 175 ml cream
- 75 ml lemon juice and rind
- 75 ml lime juice and rind
- Mix the four with the sugar and butter in a large bowl.
- Use your fingertips to mix the ingredients until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the eggs until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours, but preferably overnight.
- When the pastry is cold and hard, sprinkle some flour on a counter and roll out the pastry.
- Line the baking tin with the carefully with the pastry making sure there are no holes in the corners.
- Place the pastry lined tin in the fridge for at least one hour before baking.
- Remove the tin from the fridge and place some grease proof paper over the top, Fill the pastry with rice or dried pulses.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven 180°C for 10-15 minutes, until the pastry is just starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and discard the beans and the greaseproof paper.
- Seal the pastry by brushing with the egg white, bake the pastry in the oven for another 3 minutes and remove and leave to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 120°C.
- Make the filling by whisking the eggs and sugar until they are light and fluffy.
- Add in the cream and the lemon and lime juice and rind.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled pastry and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden and set.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Saturday Brunch: American Style Pancakes
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones