A warming soup for the cold winter months.
- 200 g cooked chestnut (sliced)
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 200 ml cream
- 2 large shallots
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 50 ml madeira
- 25 g butter
- 4 free range eggs
- 20 ml white wine vinegar
- In a large pot, add the butter, sliced shallots and thyme and cook on a high heat for 1-2 mins. Add the Madeira and reduce until a glaze. Then add the sliced cooked chestnuts, stock and cream. Boil and blend.
- To poach the eggs, stir a large pot of boiling water with addition of white wine vinegar. Add the eggs one by one and poach for approximately 2.5 mins.
- Place one egg into the centre of each bowl and cover with the hot chestnut soup.
More by Oliver Dunne:
- Who are ya' Coddle-in'? St Patrick('s Day dins)
- Ardsallagh Goat's Cheese and Beetroot Compote
- Pan Fried Plaice with Peas, Horseradish and Smoked Bacon