A delicious fish dish with a selection of vegetables.
- 4 fillets of cod (150g each)
- 30 g butter
- 110 g flour
- for the vegetable broth:
- 1 carrot
- 1 courgette
- 2 sticks celery
- 12 baby potatoes
- 1 small head broccoli
- 600 ml fish stock
- 75 g butter
- 1 glass white wine
- 1 tblsp freshly chopped herbs
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5).
- Select a large pan and heat with a the butter (30g).
- Add the salt and pepper to the flour and toss the fish in flour until it is all coated-this gives a nice crust to the fish at a later stage.
- Pan fry flesh side down- on a hot pan until sealed on either side and then return to the oven for 8-10 minutes or depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Method vegetable broth:
- Peel and prepare the vegetables into neat barrel shapes
- To turn potatoes: fill a bowl with cold water. Use a paring knife to cut the potatoes into chunks about 6.5 cm (2.5 inches) long and 4 cm (1.5 inches) thick.
- Cut off both ends of the chunks and then pare down the sides, shaping or "turning" them into small barrel shapes with 7 faces.
- To prevent discoloration, hold the finished turned potatoes in the bowl of cold water while you are working.
- Add all of the vegetables to the pot and cover with the fish stock and simmer until they are gently cooked.
- Strain off the vegetables and keep them in a warm place.
- Return the fish stock to the heat and bring to a rapid boil with the white wine and boil for 3-4 minutes. Gently whisk in the hardened butter which will thicken and colour the sauce.
- Continue to heat gently and then add in the chopped herbs.
- Serve the vegetables in the bowl with the cod on top and then pour the sauce over the top. Garnish with a little flat leaf parsley.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Saturday Brunch: Crêpes Suzette with Strawberries
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Just Add Milk!
- Strawberry and Banana Iced Lolly Pops