- 675 g floury potatoes (cut into large even-sized chunks, such as rooster or golden wonder, preferably all similar in size)
- vegetable oil (or dripping, goose or duck fat)
- maldon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7). Place the potatoes in a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the outsides have just softened. Drain and return to the pan for a minute or 2 to dry out.
- Meanwhile, preheat a roasting tin with a 1cm /1/2 in of oil, or dripping, duck or goose fat for a few minutes until just smoking.
- Put the lid back on the potatoes and shake vigorously to break up and soften the edges or roughly prod the outside of the potatoes with a fork.
- Carefully tip them into the hot oil, basting the tops.
- Place the roasting tin with the potatoes back in the oven and cook for 40 minutes, then pour off the majority of the fat before turning the potatoes over.
- Season to taste with the salt and cook for a further 20 minutes until crispy around the edges and golden brown.
- To serve, tip the roast potatoes into a warmed serving dish.