Black Forest Gateau
A classic dessert!
- for the sponge:
- 6 large eggs
- 6 oz caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3.50 oz plain flour
- 1.50 oz cornflour
- 1 oz cocoa powder
- 2 oz unsalted butter (melted)
- for the filling:
- 2 tins of cherries
- 240 ml kirch
- 1 oz cornflour
- 4 oz granulated sugar
- 6 floz water
- 6 oz caster sugar
- 1.50 pint double cream
- 8 oz dark chocolate (70%, grated)
- Method for sponge:
- Grease and line 2x10 inch round cake tins.
- Place the eggs, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whip over a sauce pan of simmering water. Until the mixture is thick and pale.
- Remove from the heat and continue whisking until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Sieve together the cornflour, plainflour,and cocoa. Fold into the egg mixture. Then gently fold in the melted butter.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 15 minutes.Place a toothpick in the middle of the cake to check it is fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tins on a wire rack.
- Method for filling and cake :
- Place sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil then simmer for 5 mins. Allow to cool. Stir in half of the kirsch to make a syrup.
- Stain the cherries and add the remaining kirsch to them. Macerate for a few hours then strain.
- Put the cherry juice, kirsch and sugar in a small saucepan and slowly bring to the boil.
- Mix the cornflour with enough water to make a paste. Add to the cherry mixture. Stirring continuously for one minute. Mix in cherries.
- Whip the cream.
- Remove the sponge from the tins then cut them in half. Brush a little of the kirsch syrup over the sponge, then spread a layer of cream then a layer of cherry filling on top. Repeat this twice more.
- Finish by spreading remaining cream on top and around the sides of the cake. Then sprinkle the whole cake with grated chocolate or chocolate craque.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say