- 80 ml sunflower oil
- 4 egg yolks
- 120 ml water
- 1.50 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g plain flour
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tins of mandarins (in natural juice)
- 1 pint cream
- 1 tblsp caster sugar
- 0.50 packet of orange jelly
- Line 1x12 inch cake or flan tin with baking parchment.
- Whip the sunflour oil and egg yolks together until combined, then add water & vanilla extract.
- Sift together plain flour and half the sugar, and the baking powder. Stir into the egg mixture and whip for 1 minute
- Whip egg whites to soft peak. Gradually add remaining sugar and continue whipping for 2 minutes.
- Fold egg white into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour mixture into the cake or flan tin.
- Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes – test by sticking cocktail stick into cake, if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Allow to cool completely on wire racks, then place onto a large serving plate.
- To make the Filling:
- Strain the mandarins. Keeping the juice and brush a little juice over the sponge.
- Whip the cream and sugar until thick. Spoon on top of the sponge.
- Arrange the mandarins on top of the cream.
- Heat the juice then dissolve the jelly in the juice. Allow to cool and thicken slightly then spoon over the mandarins to glaze.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say