- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 0.50 tsp ground coriander
- 0.50 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 450 g lean minced lamb
- 50 g pine nuts
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- for the chilli tomato sauce
- 1 red chilli (seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 680 g jar passata (if you don’t want to use passata (sieved tomatoes) simply replace with two cans of chopped tomatoes)
- 1 tsp sugar
- serve with plain boiled rice
- Place the onion in a food processor and whizz to a fine purée. Tip into a bowl with the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, parsley, lamb and pine nuts. Season and work to a paste with your hands. Roll the paste into small walnut-sized balls; you should have about 20 in total. Chill for 15 minutes to firm up if time allows.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF/Gas 6). Toss the meatballs in the oil and place in an ovenproof dish. Bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, place the chilli, garlic, passata and sugar in a jug. Season and mix well to combine. Pour over the meatballs and bake for another 30 minutes, turning the meatballs once until the sauce has slightly reduced and thickened. Serve hot with some rice in warmed wide-rimmed bowls.
Nutrition Analysis per serving: Energy: 528kcal Protein: 28g Fat: 28g Iron: 4.6mg Carbohydrates: 47g