- 1 leg of lamb, boned (opened out flat and trimmed, roughly 4-5cm thick)
- 4 tablesp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 2 fresh rosemary stalks (leaves stripped)
- 3 large garlic cloves (cut into slivers)
- sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cucumber (peeled, seeded and cubed)
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 6 ripe tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- 50 g wild rocket leaves
- small handful fresh mint leaves
- Place the lamb in a large non-metallic dish and drizzle over half the olive oil, then pare the lemon rind on top. Scatter over the rosemary and garlic slivers. Season generously and turn over a couple of times until the marinade ingredients are evenly distributed. Cover with clingfilm and set aside for 2 hours to allow the flavours to combine or overnight in the fridge is even better.
- Light a barbecue or preheat the oven to 220ºC (450ºF/Gas 7). If the lamb has been chilled overnight, bring it back to room temperature. If cooking it in the oven place it, skin-side up, on a rack in a large roasting tin and season with salt. Roast the lamb for 35 minutes for medium rare. If you don’t like your lamb tto pink cook on for another 10 minutes. Alternatively barbecue the lamb for about 40 minutes for medium rare, turning occasionally.
- To make the salad, place the cucumber, red onion and tomatoes in a large bowl. Fold in the rocket and tear in the mint leaves. Season to taste and then dress with the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
- When the lamb is cooked, transfer to a warm dish, then leave to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes. Carve into slices and arrange on plates with the summer salad and some boiled new potatoes to serve.
Nutrition Analysis per serving: Energy: 570kcal Protein: 41g Fat: 31g Iron: 3.4mg Carbohydrates: 22g