Kate O'Toole serves up this delicious starter.
- 225 g air-dried unsmoked sliabh luchra beef (jack mccarthy’s, kanturk)
- 1 tblsp best aged balsamic vinegar (25-year-old preferably)
- 150 g organic rocket leaves
- 80 g desmond cheese shavings
- 4 large fresh ripe black figs (quartered)
- 1-2 tablespoons first cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Slice the beef very, very thinly (best get this done with a proper butcher’s slicer as it should be wafer thin). Divide the beef into four portions and fan out in the centre of four serving plates.
- Put the Balsamic vinegar in a bowl and toss the rocket leaves in it, then scatter them on top of the beef.
- Place the figs on the rocket and sprinkle the Desmond cheese shavings over everything. Drizzle everything lightly with a little olive oil and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
More by Kate O'Toole:
- Trio Of Rich Chocolate Mousse, Banoffi Pie And Lemon Possett
- Noisette Of Roasted Connemara Lamb Wrapped In Pancetta, Served With Parsnip Purée, Sweetened Carrot
- Unpasteurised Cooleeney Cheese Plate With Home Made Pistachio And Raisin Bread, Candied Pecans