Try this delicious Italian bread, flavoured with garlic and herbs.
- for the dough:
- 150 ml olive oil
- 150 ml white wine
- 350 ml warm water
- 1 kg plain four
- 30 g fresh yeast
- 2 pinch salt
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- for the flavorings:
- 1 bulb roast garlic
- 3 bunch rosemary
- 1 bunch rosemary
- 50 g sun dried/semi dried tomatoes
- 30 g butter
- To make this recipe as easy as possible to make it’s best to get all the flavorings ready in advance.
- Cut the bulb of garlic in half and wrap in tin foil along with half the rosemary and thyme.
- Place in the oven at about 120 degrees for 30 mins or until the garlic has become soft and squashy.
- Roughly chop the remaining herbs and set aside along with the tomatoes which can be cut in 2 roughly.
- For the dough, mix the yeast with half of the warm water in a bowl and add all the sugar.
- Set this mix aside for 15 minutes to allow the yeast start to work.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, making a well in the centre.
- Pour in the yeast mix along with the olive oil white wine and remaining water. Mix this well, you will need to knead this for a good 15 minutes before placing in an oiled bowl. Cover with a cloth and set aside in a warm place.
- Allow the dough to prove now, until it has doubled in size, this may take up to an hour.
- Now remove the dough and “knock back”, kneed it until all the air has been knocked out.
- Now roll out the dough into your desired shape and place on a greased and floured tray.
- Now push cloves of garlic, the tomatoes and herbs all across the top of the dough. Ensure you push them well into the dough just allowing the tip of each to show.
- Set this aside once more to prove for about 45 minutes in a warm place.
- Before placing in the oven brush with a little more olive oil and some rock salt.
- Place in a pre heated oven at 180°C for about 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool before breaking it up rather than cutting it.
More by Richie Wilson:
- Barbequed Leg Of Lamb with Rosemary Marinade and Granny's Potatoes with Summer Salad
- Burger and Chips
- Hot Chocolate Fondant - Lemon And White Chocolate Mini Eggs In Orange Caramel Sauce