A delicious treat of bananas deep fried in a crunchy dough.
- 9 oz firm bananas
- 0.25 a lemon
- 5 oz plain flour
- 0.5 pint cold water
- 3 oz unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 tblsp cinnamon
- 3 tblsp icing sugar
- pinch of baking powder
- Peel and slice the bananas and cut into thick cubes and place in a bowl.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the bananas and cover with cling film.
- In a saucepan put water, cubed unsalted butter and cook on a medium heat until the butter has melted. Then bring mixture to the boil.
- Sieve flour and baking powder together and add all at once to the butter mixture.
- Stirring consistently until the mixture forms a ball of dough and there is no mixture left at the side of the saucepan.
- Transfer the dough to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly and then gradually add the eggs in slowly, beating well in between each addition until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir the bananas into the mixture.
- Heat oil to 180°C. Using an ice cream scoop add scoops of dough to the hot oil in batches.
- Do not over crowd the fryer as this will lower the temperature of the oil.
- Cook the fritters for 10 minutes, turning them from time to time to brown them evenly.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked fritters on to a tray lined with kitchen paper.
- While the fritters are still warm, roll them in cinnamon sugar.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Valentine's Day Choc Fudge Lollies: Louise Lennox
- American Style Pancakes: P'Cake Tues Countdown
- Almond and Chocolate Hungarian Torte