Try this lovely light salad which is packed full of flavour.
- 2 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 175 g black pudding (skinned and cut into 1cm slices)
- 4 maple cured bacon rashers
- 175 g mixed salad leaves (such as baby spinach and rocket)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 0.5 tsp clear honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crusty bread, to serve
- Heat a frying pan and then add a tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the black pudding and cook for 1 minute on each side until tender. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.Snip the bacon into the frying pan and sauté for a few minutes until sizzling and lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, place the salad leaves in a large bowl. Halve, stone and chop the avocado. Add to the bowl and season to taste.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan and add to the salad. Pour the vinegar into the pan, turn up the heat and scrape the sediment in the pan with a wooden spoon to deglaze until almost all the vinegar has been boiled off. Stir the mustard into the reduced down vinegar with the honey and then whisk in the rest of the olive oil until you have achieved a nice emulsion.
- Break the black pudding up into pieces and scatter over the salad, then drizzle over the dressing. Toss lightly to combine and then arrange on plates to serve. Hand around a basket of crusty bread separately.