A great treat with a cup of tea.
- 225 g plain flour
- 2 dsp ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 110 g butter
- 110 g brown sugar
- 110 g golden syrup
- 110 g treacle
- 2 eggs
- 75 ml milk
- for the glaze:
- 3 dsp apricot jam
- brown sugar crystals
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F/Gas 2).
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Place the butter, golden syrup, treacle and brown sugar together into a large saucepan and melt slowly until all ingredients have been incorporated. Allow the mixture to come to a gentle boil and then leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile sieve the flour, bread soda and ground ginger together.
- Beat the milk into the eggs.
- After the toffee style mixture has cooled add in the dry ingredients and the egg and milk mixture. Make sure you beat the entire mixture thoroughly at this stage as the dry ingredients do have a tendency to stick or clump together at this stage.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and transfer to the preheated oven.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin as it will still be quite soft and will have a tendency to break.
- After the cake has cooled remove it from the tin and transfer to a serving platter.
- Place the apricot jam in a small saucepan with a tiny amount of water and bring to a rapid boil.
- Brush the boiled jam over the top of the cake and scatter with the brown sugar crystals.