You know those times when you want to skip the meal and just have dessert?
- for the fruit:
- 2 lb rhubarb (leaves trimmed, stalks only, cut into 3/4" pieces)
- 1 pint pink lady apples (peeled, cored, and cut into ¾" pieces)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest (freshly grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest (freshly grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger (freshly grated)
- for the topping:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rolled easy cook oats
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 2/3 cup chopped almonds
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C.
- In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb, apple, sugar, ginger, flour, orange and lemon zest.
- Transfer to a buttered 8-inch baking dish.
- For topping, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, almonds, oats, pour in melted butter and toss to combine, spread loosely over the fruit mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes until fruit is bubbling and topping is browned.
- Serve warm with softly whipped cream or vanilla crème anglaise.
More by Oscar Lai:
- Savoury Pancakes
- Homemade French Chocolate Truffles
- Vietnamese Fresh Summer Rolls and Sweet Birds Eye Chilli Dipping Sauce