Oh that you could get away with eating this every day!
- tart fine:
- 250 g puff pastry
- 4 apples (pink ladies or similar dry sweet apple)
- 20 g caster sugar
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 50 g softened butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 65 g ground almond
- 65 g caster sugar
- butter scotch:
- 20 ml water
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 100 ml cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- The frangipane is going to serve as a sort of sponge at the bottom of our tart, soaking up any juices and keeping the pastry crisp.
- Simply combine the egg with almond and sugar using a hand mixer or similar, followed by the softened butter.
- Set aside in the fridge.
- Apple Tart:
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut into a large circular shape using the plate you would like to serve it on as a base.
- Now dock this pastry well with a fork and place in the fridge to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Peel and core the apples. Slice into thin rounds: it is best to use a mandolin to do this but you can use a knife, just take care to cut them the same thickness - as thin as you can!
- Now spread a thin layer of the frangipane across the pastry disc as if buttering bread!
- Arrange the slices of apple all around the pastry, overlapping them both for appearance and for texture once the tart has cooked.
- Now brush the entire tart with the melted butter and sprinkle the sugar all over.
- Return to the fridge for a further 10 minutes. Pre heat the oven to 180°C and place the tart in the centre, cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Butterscotch Sauce:
- Put the sugar, cinnamon and water in a pot over a high heat. Continue to boil until the sugar caramelises; now add the butter while stirring.
- Once all the butter has been incorporated add the cream. Take care at this point as the cream will boil instantly.
- Simmer this for 3-4 minutes before serving. It is best to serve this in a jug alongside the tart so you keep the tart crisp for as long as possible.
More by Richie Wilson:
- Barbequed Leg Of Lamb with Rosemary Marinade and Granny's Potatoes with Summer Salad
- Burger and Chips
- Hot Chocolate Fondant - Lemon And White Chocolate Mini Eggs In Orange Caramel Sauce