John Donlon goes retro with this healthy dessert.
- 2 oz red currants
- 4 oz blueberries
- 1/4 pineapple (peeled and diced)
- 1 mango (peeled and diced)
- 1 banana (sliced)
- 2 kiwi (peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 star fruit (sliced)
- 8 oz strawberries (quartered)
- 4 floz crème fraîche
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- for the syrup:
- 1/2 pint orange juice
- 1 tblsp vanilla sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 oz peeled and grated root ginger
- Make the syrup first by placing the orange juice and sugar in a pot and bring to the boil. Add all the other ingredients and simmer for about 5 mins. Take off the heat and leave to cool for about 20 mins. Place all the fruits in a bowl and when the syrup has cooled pour over the fruits. Next mix the crème fraîche and honey together in a bowl.
- To serve place 2 tablespoons of crème honey in a cruet bowl and add sprig of mint on top for garnish. Place in centre of plate and surround with fruit salad.
John's tip: It's tastier if fruit salad is prepared and placed in fridge the day before use as it allows all the flavours to infuse.