Niamh Switzer serves up a delicious breast of duck.
- 1 large boneless duck breast with the skin on
- 1 small pack blackberries
- 0.25 cup chives
- 0.25 cup spring onions
- 6 tblsp cream
- 6 tblsp milk
- 0.25 cup butter
- 2 tbs of pistachios
- 4 rooster potatoes
- ingredients for braised red cabbage:
- 1 head of red cabbage (quartered, cored and very thinly sliced)
- 1 tblsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tblsp dry red wine
- salt (seasoning)
- 0.25 cup butter
- To make the mash peal and chop the potatoes and place in a large saucepan of hot water. Cook until soft and tender. Drain off the water and heat for about four minutes.
- Take the potatoes off the heat and mash while all the time seasoning well with pepper and salt and mixing in the milk, butter and cream until completely smooth and creamy. Add chives and spring onions and mash together. Keep warm on low heat stirring constantly. When ready to serve place mixture into a piping bag and pipe onto a warm plate.
- To make the braised red cabbage melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add sliced cabbage and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stir and toss constantly until cabbage begins to wilt, about 7 minutes. Add red wine and sauté until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Add red wine vinegar and stir constantly until cabbage is tender and turns bright purple colour, about 20 minutes longer. Season to taste with pepper and salt.
- Score the skin of each duck breast in a crosshatch pattern with a sharp knife and sprinkle both sides of the duck with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a pan with oil and when very hot cook the duck breast skin side down for around 10 minutes until the fat has been reduced to a thin crisp. (While cooking keep pouring the fat out of the pan).
- Turn the duck and cook it for 10 minutes more, glaze the duck with honey and pistachios and the transfer to a pre heated oven 230°C and roast the duck for 5 to 7 minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 145°F - 150°F. For medium meat.
- When the duck is cooked transfer to a chopping board and let it cool for a minute. Cut the duck diagonally into 6 thick pieces (3 pieces per portion). Serve with piped mash, braised red cabbage and a spoon of blackberries on the side.