A delicious main course of sea bass.
- 2 portions of sea bass (wild if possible)
- 0.5 head of celeriac
- 0.5 head of fennel
- 1 lemon
- flat leaved parsley
- 1 carton of fresh cream
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Peal and chop the celeriac into small chunks. Put in a sauce pan with half a large carton of cream and 4tbsp of water. Bring to the boil and then let it simmer until the celeriac is soft.
- When ready strain off cream into a bowl and place the mixture into a blender for a few minutes. Pour the cream into the blender and add extra if mixture isn’t creamy enough. Season with salt and pepper. Place mixture into a sauce pan and heat when needed.
- For the fennel, cut in half and put oil in pan and colour each side. Then place in an oven dish and put into the oven at 200°C for 20 minutes.
- To make the lemon and herb dressing, chop 2tbs of chives, 2tbs of parsley and 1tbs of coriander. Mix this into a bowl of 4tbs of extra virgin olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Place in fridge until needed.
- To prepare the fish firstly make sure the sea bass is filleted, scaled and gutted. Season with salt and pepper. Then pinch the skin and cut small incisions across it. (This will help to prevent the fish from curling up in the pan.) When cooking the fish make sure you heat a non stick pan.
- When the pan is very hot place the fish in the pan skin side down. Cook until the skin is crispy then turn over and take it off the heat. However if the fish is wild it will have to be cooked in an oven of 200°C for 15min (as wild sea bass is much thicker).
- To serve place a spoon of the celeriac puree on the plate and place the sea bass off the side of it. Put the fennel on top and garnish with the lemon and herb dressing and some parsley.
More by Niamh Switzer:
- Chocolate and Hazelnut Meringue Tartlet with Chocolate Sauce
- Tina of Crabmeat and Smoked Salmon served with Ruby Grapefruit, Dill Crème Fraîche and Guacamole
- Prime Irish Rib Eye Steak, Honey Roasted Root Vegetables, Fondant Potato and Béarnaise Sauce