Valerie O'Connor serves us a tart tatin with ice cream.
- lemon curd
- natural yogurt
- 2-6 granny smiths apples or your favourite local apples
- 200 g plain flour
- 100 g cold butter (cut into cubes)
- 1 eggs yolk
- Mix equal amounts of lemon curd and yogurt in a metal bowl and freeze.
- To make the shortcrust pastry, rub the butter and flour together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Bind this with the egg yolk and bring the pastry together, add a little water if it is too dry. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Take two small pans and rub some butter on their bottoms, sprinkle with sugar and place on a medium heat on the cooker.
- When the mixture turns brown and starts to bubble, remove the pans and arrange the apples on the caramel, return to a low heat for five minutes, watching so they don’t burn.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Roll out the pastry into two discs, cut and place on top of the apples, pressing down. Prick holes in the pastry to let any steam out.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until golden brown.
- Carefully turn the tart onto a plate and top with a spoon of the lemon curd ice cream.