A perfect way to round off your meal.
- 175 g stoned dates
- 300 ml water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- seeds from vanilla pod (or one drop of essence)
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 175 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 175 g self raising flour
- 50 g dark brown sugar
- 150 ml cream
- banana (half per person)
- 50 g honey per banana
- Begin by bringing the dates and water to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour all of this into a food processor and put on high speed until all the dates have been pureed.
- Now add the baking soda to the processor and buzz for a couple more seconds.
- In an electric mixer, cream the sugar, vanilla seeds and butter until it becomes slightly paler in colour.
- Now add a little of the flour before adding the eggs one at a time.
- Remove the mix from the mixer and fold in the flour. Now pour in the date mix and mix well ensuring there is nothing stuck to the bottom of the bowl.
- Line a deep oven tray with grease proof paper and pour the mix in.
- Place in a pre heated oven at 160°C and cook for 45 minutes.
- It’s a good idea to stick a knife into the centre of the pudding and check if the knife is dry when you remove it, if not return to the oven for a few more minutes.
- While the pudding is in the oven bring the brown sugar and cream to the boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the pudding comes out of the oven prick all across the top with a knife to make little holes. Now pour the cream and sugar mix all over allowing it to soak all the way through.
- Allow the pudding to cool and set before cutting and portioning. Once portioned it’s actually best to re heat this in a micro wave for a few seconds just before serving.
- To make the bananas simply slice in half length ways and once again in the centre. Heat a pan and pour in the Honey, allow the honey to boil until it begins to caramelize. Now add the bananas, turning continuously until all the banana is coated.
- Place the bananas on the plate along side the pudding and dust with a little icing sugar.
- Banana ice cream would be great with this!
More by Richie Wilson:
- Barbequed Leg Of Lamb with Rosemary Marinade and Granny's Potatoes with Summer Salad
- Burger and Chips
- Hot Chocolate Fondant - Lemon And White Chocolate Mini Eggs In Orange Caramel Sauce