The base for many a great dish.
- 1 large onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tblsp tomato puree
- 1 dsp of sugar
- 1 tblsp chopped basil
- left over vegetables
- Gently fry onion and garlic in olive oil, for five minutes. Do not let the onion and garlic colour.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and sugar.
- Allow tomato mixture to simmer on a very low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Basil and season with pepper to taste.
- The sauce will be a little chunky, if you prefer a smooth sauce blend the sauce with a hand held blender.
- Hand blend in any other vegetables you have left over.