Sprinkle a few berries over the meringues for a gorgeous dessert.
- 4 large egg whites
- 8 oz caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 l milk
- Whip the egg whites until they treble in size.
- Beat in the sugar spoon by spoon.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla extract and lemon juice and whip until the meringues hold stiff peaks.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and simmer.
- Using two tablespoons that have been dipped in cold water to prevent the meringues from sticking to the spoons, gently shape the meringues into oval shapes (quenelles).
- Drop each shape into the milk as it is formed, don’t overcrowd the saucepan with quenelles.
- Poach for 3-4 minutes and turn once while cooking.
- Remove the meringues with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Continue poaching until all of the mixture is used.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Saturday Brunch: American Style Pancakes
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones