A tasty and affordable dish.
- 1 poached leg of chicken (skin off and shredded)
- 1 medium carrot peeled
- 0.5 medium cucumber (de-seeded)
- 2 scallions trimmed
- 2 oz clear vermicelli glass noodles
- 0.5 cup fresh mint leaves
- 0.5 cup fresh basil leaves
- 8 sheets dried rice paper
- 1-teaspoon light soy sauce
- 3 cup warm to hot water
- for the sweet birds eye chilli dipping sauce:
- 1.5 cup warm water
- 1 bird’s eye chilli chopped fine
- 1 tblsp brown sugar
- 1 tblsp fish sauce
- 1 tblsp light soy sauce
- 2 tblsp rice wine vinegar (can be substituted with white wine vinegar)
- In a large pot add a 1.4 kg whole chicken, one bulb of garlic crushed, 1 onion halved, 2 cups light soy sauce, ¼ cup sea salt.
- Poach for 1 hour 15 minutes. Take out of the water and let rest to completely cool. Take off one leg and thigh and reserve the remaining chicken.
- Skin the leg and thigh and take off all the meat and shred into bite size pieces.
- Drizzle the soy sauce over the chicken and let stand until assembly.
- Cut the carrot and cucumber into 2 inch pieces and julienne into matchsticks and set aside.
- Cut the scallions very thinly on a bias and set aside.
- Soak the rice noodles in some warm water for 45 minutes, drain and cut into bite size strands. In a large bowl add the warm water. Immerse one sheet of rice paper and soak for 5 seconds.
- Lift out and shake excess water off. Lay down on a work surface.
- Add some noodles, chicken, vegetables and herbs on the bottom of the paper facing you. Roll the paper over the ingredients once.
- Fold in the sides and continue to roll until everything is sealed.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients. These rolls can be covered with a damp cloth until ready to serve.
- Sweet Birds eye Chilli Dipping Sauce:
- Add the sugar to the warm water and dissolve. Add the remaining ingredients, refrigerate and let stand for one hour before serving.
More by Oscar Lai:
- Savoury Pancakes
- Homemade French Chocolate Truffles
- Cuban Spiced Medallions of Pork with Fried Plantains, Rhubarb Chipotle and Chili Chutney